Thursday, March 7, 2013

35 - Chicken Kurma


The other day, we were having a family over for lunch and I was  responsible for the non-vegetarian dish. Its been so long since I cooked anything other than the occasional pasta or paneer curry for  my 5 year old. So I had no  idea what to cook or where to start.

It  was the husband who suggested that I make a gravy with coconut  paste. Typical Kerala style! :) Obviously, since my mom doesn't cook  non-vegetarian at home, I have no idea how "typical kerala" style should be cooked. Anyway, armed with  chicken, onions, a whole  lot of green  chilies, curry leaves and coconut paste, I started. And  this  is what I came up with... And if I may say so myself, it was yummmm! :)

Ingredients

1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp mustard
3 tsps coriander powder
3 onions, chopped
6 green chillies
curry leaves
1 kg chicken, thighs and drumsticks, skinned
1/2 cup curd, beaten
1 cup coconut paste
fresh coriander leaves, chopped
oil
salt, to taste

Preparation

Heat the oil in the pan.  Saute the cumin and mustard seeds till the crackle. Then add the chopped onions and let it cook till they turn golden. To this, add the green chillies, curry leaves, chicken and saute for about 4 minutes. Add the curd, water and salt to this and bring it boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the coconut  paste to this and mix well. Then add the fresh coriander leaves and the coriander powder. Cook this till done.




Serve hot and Enjoy!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment